The use of a jukdo (bamboo sword) and hogu (protective body armor) makes kumdo a very safe martial art. We won’t lie, you will get a few bruises here and there, but considering that this is a full contact martial art, you are well protected, and because of this, there is no need to hold back. You can sparr your opponent with 200% of your will power, and will still be going home smiling.
To begin, all you need is a jukdo and a uniform. Hogu is only required after a few months of basics training.
The basic needed equipments are:
- Hogu – Whole body armor set is collectively called Hogu
- Ho Myun – Helmet
- Gahp – Chest & Waist protector
- Gahp Sang – Thigh and groin protector
- Ho Wan – Hand and wrist protector
- Jukdo – 4-piece bamboo sword
- Do Bok – Uniform